“You shall teach them diligently to your children. . .”
The Children’s Ministry at Uptown church is a ministry which believes that children benefit from teaching and experiencing worship in an age appropriate environment. Here at Uptown we encourage the entire body of believers to assist in the spiritual development of our children. We love looking into our classrooms and seeing a variety of teachers and assistants giving of their time and love to care for our children each Sunday.
+ Sunday Morning
9:00am / 1st hour
During the Sunday school hour, we offer Sunday School classes for children ages 6 weeks through 5th grade. We use a curriculum called, The Gospel Project for Kids, for all our Sunday School classes learn the same content each week! Will are going through the Bible in chronological order over the next 3 years!
- In our preK-5th grade classes, children are taught how to memorize scripture, how to have basic devotions, and how to pray for one another. This curriculum teaches the Bible as a whole and the unfolding story of redemption in Christ. This curriculum is rooted in Reformed heritage and doctrine as embodied in the Westminster Standards.
- The church nursery provides care for children ages 6 weeks to 3 years on the first floor of our education building.
10:30am / 2nd hour
- Children’s Church is offered for children 4 years old through 1st grade, on the 2nd and 3rd floors of our educational building. These classes are designed to teach children how to worship the Lord Jesus Christ in an age-appropriate atmosphere. We use the Kids’ Quest Catechism Club, also from Global Commission Publications. This curriculum shows that children benefit greatly from rote memorization of the catechism as it teaches them theological vocabulary that they will understand later. The goal of this curriculum is NOT merely memorization, but laying a foundation of an initial understanding of belief and trust in God. Kids’ Quest also uses biblical accounts of God’s work in the world to illustrate his character and explain abstract truths in a concrete way. Music, games, art, and written activities, with repetition, help to reinforce this teaching.
- The church nursery provides care for children ages 6 weeks to 3 years on the first floor of our education building. During the 2nd hour, children hear a Bible story and participate in a craft activity related to the teaching. In addition, older classes go to our indoor “playground”, as well as receive a snack.
Vacation Bible School is one of our most beloved events that happens every June at Uptown Church. VBS is an exciting event at our church where kids can see, hear, touch and sometimes taste the amazing and true adventures that the Bible is filled with! During VBS our kids learn fun and new songs about Jesus with crazy hand motions, they create tasty treats that go along with the exciting Bible story that is told each day, they even get to do a real science experiment that always leaves them speechless and amazed at God’s handiwork, and they even get to learn about kids who love Jesus from across the ocean! And this is all in one day! We use GROUP Publishing for our VBS curriculum. It will take place June 26-30, 2017 and the theme is “Maker Fun Factory!” Kids will learn that they were lovingly crafted by God for a purpose!
Backyard Bible Club
This fun-filled summer adventure is Uptown’s alternative to VBS. The week-long outreach event is held in the two or three neighborhoods within Charlotte, utilizing the backyard setting at some of our Uptown members’ homes. Both Uptown children and their friends gather for a week of Bible stories, crafts, games, music and other fun kid-friendly activities. Each BYBC is led by a group of volunteers who love to share the love of Christ with the children and desire to show what a life filled with Christ is all about!
One of our host families shares this, “The event has been so successful in our neighborhood that I have children asking me about Backyard Bible Club each year months in advance. They want to make sure their name is on the list of those attending, as they know the spaces are limited, and they fill fast!”
Fall Kick Off
Each September we celebrate our children advancing to their next grade level and new Sunday school and Children’s Church classes, by transforming our second-floor hallway into a celebration station! We take over the hallway and have a celebration of donuts, juice, and an abundance of back to school treats and gift bags.
Another fun outreach event for our children and their friends is Birthday Party For Jesus! This event is held in December of each year. Families gather to celebrate Jesus’ birthday just as they would any child’s birthday. The time begins with crafts, games, and pictures. Then, they enjoy a time of music and listening to the story of Christ’s birth. Our celebration ends with wishing Jesus “Happy Birthday” with the traditional birthday song and sharing in a birthday cake! We have begun partnering with Brookstone School and have our party on the campus of Brookstone so that the students there can join with our Uptown children to celebrate the birth of Jesus.
Easter Egg Hunt
Uptown’s largest outreach event of the year! Children of all ages are invited to enjoy this annual gathering at Independence Park. Donuts, face painting, balloon artists, MyGym and, of course, an egg hunt with over 8,000 Easter eggs, are all a part of the time together. We encourage the Uptown families to invite their neighbors and friends, along with inviting the entire Charlotte community, so they can hear the Gospel message of Jesus Christ.
+ Safety & Security
+ My First Visit… We welcome all visitors!
* In addition to our staffed nursery, we also have a “Baby Breakroom” for the convenience of our mothers with infants under 12 months old. The Baby Breakroom is located directly outside the sanctuary, at the front exit doors to the right of the stage. This room is not staffed, but does have an audio feed of the worship service. Please take advantage of this room if your infant needs comfort during a worship service.
Nursery Registration – First Floor of Education Building, side entrance
- Registration (first floor by elevators). Parents will complete a Visitor’s Registration card providing all information necessary for our caregivers to care for your child in the best manner possible during his or her visit.
- Each child is given a name tag with an assigned “call” number, and parents are given a claim check card with the corresponding “call” number. If parents are needed during the Worship service, the “call” number appears on an electronic reader system located in the front corners of the sanctuary. Parents are asked to respond immediately.
- When children are picked up, claim check cards must be presented before a child is released. Uptown staff will ensure that the card matches the appropriate child.
Finally, we ask that both the name tag and matching claim check cards be returned to the registration table.
- 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grade classrooms on the 3rd floor
- Pre-K , K, 1st classes on the 2nd floor
- Parents will complete a registration form providing all information necessary for teachers to care for your child in the best way during their time in Sunday School and/or Children’s Church.
- You will pick up your child in the same classroom that you dropped them off.
Children’s Ministry Directors
Sage Andrews Email: email@example.com Phone: 843-206-7176
Kat Powell Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 803.960.0300
Lisa Ellis Email: email@example.com Phone: 704.591.5318
Rebecca Latham Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 828-674-5169